Saturday 19 June 2010

Suppliers

There are so, so many suppliers of fabric and haberdashery out there that for a complete beginner like me, trying to find a reliable, good quality supplier becomes a nightmare. The first thing I did was google and came up with a few online shops, such as cheapfabrics.co.uk, online-fabrics.co.uk, e-fabrics.co.uk. I had a look at all these and decided to try online-fabrics. I purchased 10 samples and paid in total just over £7. I placed the order on the 3rd June and received them today. Have to say, not impressed. It looks like they did pay enough postage so the samples went back. I know they use courier for other orders but unfortunately my confidence is gone.

In the meantime, I posted a facebook wall post on my photography fan page asking for people's opinions and someone recommended Abakhan.co.uk. I had to buy some bits and bobs and decided to place an order. Arrived the following day via DHL. Not bad at all! However, I am weary of all couriers as I live in a block of flats and work 9-5 all week. Some couriers fail to leave a card and when I track it down I find out the depot is 30 miles away, etc, etc. I could have it delivered to work but shouldn't do it often. I guess my priority will be sites who ship with Royal Mail. Never had problems with them!

Anyway, enough of suppliers! As I use them and find them I will review them there. I have a project for this weekend taken out of Sew Hip magazine. A small simple needle case. I also bought (on ebay) some cheap, low quality stripy fabric to practice straight stitching. I also want to start a more challenging project, in this case a dress, also out of Sew Hip magazine. Will let you know if I start it this weekend!

Happy Weekend all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...