Friday 27 January 2012

Kimono Sleeve Replacement: Vote on your favourite

My dear readers, I have struggled hard to come to this decision, but I have made up my mind. I'm giving up working on the kimono sleeve dress whilst there's time. Part of me saw this as an admittance of failure but my rational side knows it's not quite that. The gussets are not the issue anymore as what I have managed to sew is not that bad. However the whole process made other aspects of this dress that I don't particularly love gain more strength. I fell in love with the pattern envelope but the dress instructions surprised me with a few details and designs that are not as nice, but at the time was ready to overlook:

  • The pockets are fake. They are just a decorative touch. I know it could be easily changed.
  • The back skirt falls quite oddly, possibly because of the V point. It's not bad at all but it's also not my favourite shape.
  • The sleeves are just crazy drafted. I tried re-designing them with my pattern making knowledge but wasn't very successful. We did a lot of set in sleeve and raglan sleeve work on the course but no kimono sleeve. After seeing Gertie GORGEOUS kimono sleeves with gussets I really can't bear to do these.

Bottom line, I do not love it! And after all the gusset drama I am close to hating it. So instead of beating myself up I'm going to move on and use the sumptuous wool flannel to sew something else. (I have just cut the bodice pieces so have lots left.)
I have two patterns in mind and would like you to vote for the one you want me to sew. It will likely have to wait for Autumn now, as soon it'll be too warm for wool, but it will be made. And can I just say: they both have set in sleeves. Woohoo!!

Pattern 1: A similar design to original. View C, button down dress with princess line panels and long sleeves.
Pattern 2: A gorgeous Vogue Couturier. A touch more serious but still gorgeous. The only scary bit in this pattern are the welt pockets.

Ready, steady, cast your votes!

25 comments:

  1. I am all kinds of in love with that McCall's pattern, but I feel like it would be better suited for a more lightweight/summery fabric. Shirtdresses in general just seem to call for cotton fabric, as far as I'm concerned. So my vote goes for the Vogue pattern. It is lovely, and it will really let the wool flannel take center stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzy! I really do like the look of the Vogue coat, I can just imagine you in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vote goes to the vogue pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for the First patterns, well, I love all the patterns, but the vote is for the 1st one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with lladybird and for exactly the same reasons. So much so that I am certain she is stealing my thoughts. Please tell her to stop. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for the Vogue pattern. Welt pockets in wool? yes! Also I like that the skirt is more fitted, not full, and the bodice is cute with 3/4 sleeves.

    I can't wait to see which one you pick and how it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love pattern 1... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them both, so I'm simply going to ask which one you'll wear more? And then tell you to go for that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahah, good strategy Tors ;) I think I'm likely to wear both as much but simply in diferent occasions. Pattern 1 more casual (weekends and such) and pattern 2 more at work and more formal/ special outings :)

      Delete
  9. I love them both but agree with Lladybird for the same reason. Can't wait to see the next dress as I love your projects. Sorry about the bloody gussets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, don't feel sad anymore about that bad old pattern, some patterns really don't make sense and need to be burnt. You have a great shape so number one would look great on you, number two would be more form fitting. I always go for comfort, so one would most likely feel easy on and you may wear it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go for Vogue. Suzy it's only January there's still two months of winter left plenty of time to wear it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With my other projects I don't think I would finish it before April, May. Not too worry. I'll start working on it Summer time to have it done when cold weather hits us.

      Delete
  12. Excellent decision, Suzy! I fully support giving the gussets the heave-ho! I love the Vogue Couturier pattern - gorgeous for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the second one! Somehow I visualise you in it more than the first pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Vogue one is my favourite - it's so gorgeous! If you didn't love the kimono sleeve pattern Suzy, then leaving it is the best decision you could have made. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you for abandoning the kimono sleeves - if you don't long to wear (or see being worn) the thing you're making, it just becomes drudgery, and there's no point in completing something that will just sit unworn in your wardrobe taking up precious space!

    I love your two autumn projects, but if I had to choose I'd go for the Vogue - I think the shape will suit you better - slender and elegant, like you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree, the Vogue one screams "wool" to me, whereas the McCalls might suit something lighter? Though, I do hope you make both, because I love both! (Is that a shawl collar on the McCalls view C?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a shawl collar! Gorgeous isn't it? And I'll definitely make both patterns just not sure when :)

      Delete
  17. Life's simply too short to work on something you don't love, so don't feel bad! I think the Vogue pattern will suit your fabric better...but I LOVE them both!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are both gorgeous Suzy, but I'm a fan of the Vogue....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, I'm late to this party, but I think the Vogue pattern is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a difficult decision! I'd say the Vogue first since I'm very much into slimmer skirts right now. But the second one is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...